In this tutorial, you will learn how to transfer domains from GoDaddy to Namecheap. There are several major steps to complete the process of transferring domain which I have broken down into 4 different sections. The four major steps to transfer your domain from GoDaddy to Namecheap are:
- Unlock domain on GoDaddy.
- Get EPP code or authorization code from GoDaddy.
- Initiate domain transfer request from Namecheap.
- Authorize domain transfer.
NOTE: When you transfer domains from GoDaddy to Namecheap, you will need to reset your nameservers.
Unlocking your domain on GoDaddy.
- Login to your GoDaddy account.
- Next to Domain panel, click the launch button.
- Check the domain you want to unlock and click the Locking button.
- Set Domain Locking popup box will appear. Deselect “Lock domain(s)” and click OK.
- Click OK again to close the popup box.
How to get EPP code from GoDaddy.
- Click the domain you want to obtain the EPP code of.
- Under Domain Information. Click “Send by Email.”
- Click OK button on the popup confirmation that will appear.
- Check your email and save your EPP code.
Initiate Transfer Request from Namecheap.
- Login to your Namecheap account.
- On the top left hand side, hover your mouse to activate the dropdown menu and click “Transfer
- Under Transfer Your Domain, enter the domain you want to transfer without the www. and click
“Start Transfer” button.
- If your domain is transferable, you will see a confirmation similar below.
- Before checking out the site, click Set EPP Code link.
- Enter your EPP Code from your email and click Save button.
- Proceed to payment process.
Authorizing the Domain Transfer
- Upon completion of transfer request, Namecheap.com will send an email to the admin email of your previous site. Open that email and click the link.
- Clicking the approval link will take you to a page similar below.
- Now login to your GoDaddy account and click the + button on the left side of Domain panel. Click the Transfers tab and Click the corresponding Launch button next to the domain you want to transfer
- Click Accept/Decline button.
- A confirmation box will appear. Select Accept and click OK.
- Click OK button again to confirm.
NOTE: The process will approximately take 5 up to 30 minutes to complete.
Congratulations! You have successfully transferred your domain from GoDaddy to Namecheap.